New York Times, Economics Writer, Nelson Schwartz on The Velvet Rope Economy, Covid and More!
Nelson Schwartz, esteemed NY Times Economics and Business writer is also the best-selling author of the Velvet Rope Economy, a fascinating that really hits home!
The Velvet Rope Economy Show Notes
01:44 – The harrowing effects of COVID-19 in the U.S.
- Covid is severely affecting working class Americans
- Some areas of the economy are recovering like the housing market
- The lockdowns have been more severe in the Northeast parts of the country (e.g. Michigan and California
07:03 – The new reality of urban areas like Chicago and New York
- There is a growing demand in traditional suburban areas since the pandemic started
- Nelson predicts that New York real estate market will recover once there is a vaccine available
11:05 – Nelson shares about his book called The Velvet Rope Economy
- Consumer experience are starting to become more separated than ever
- There are remedies to this growing gap which are – give more access to education, tax reform for the wealthy, technology, etc
- There is a visible divide between the rich and the poor especially when it comes to access to healthcare
19:40 – Nelson shares one of his favourite stories that he covered
- He did a series of stories about the workers at Carrier’s factory and how they became a political football
- Nelson also loved his coverage on Fortune Magazine about the energy industry in Iraq and Libya
Atara Twersky is a TODAY Show Style Icon, and an attorney in Manhattan where she lives with her husband and three kids. She is also author of the popular Curlee Girlee book series, inspired by her youngest daughter. She is the host of two podcasts, Changing the Course and Pension Trends Plus.